Installing UsabilityTools using Google Tag Manager
Step 1: Get Ready
Create an account on the Google Tag Manager website. You will be asked to create a “Container”, which is a box where you can put all of the tage for your website. After you create a ‘container’ you’ll get a piece of code similar to this one:
Step 2: Install the Google Tag Manager Code + UsabilityTools Code
Make sure your provided Google Tag Manager script is placed on every page of your site.
Here is a screenshot of installing the script in a Wordpress template (go to Appearance -> Editor and change the header.php file):
- After logging in to your Google Tag Manager account, create a “Custom HTML Tag”.
- Click the button to +Add a Firing Rule, so that you will tell Google to load our snippet on all of your pages:
Step 4: Create a Container Version and Publish
As always, you can log in to UsabilityTools to look for your first data insights, and to check that you’ve installed the script properly. To recap, there are 4 steps:
- Create a rule that tells on which pages to load those tags.
- Create a version to save a history of your changes.
- Publish the version so that it is actively running on your site.